Thinly sliced and lightly cooked is the perfect way to serve fresh summer squash.
Tip: If you have a mandolin slicer, you can use it in place of the vegetable peeler. Use a guard or slice-resistant glove to avoid slicing yourself.
- 4 medium yellow squash (about 1½ lb.)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼-½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (1 oz.) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave squash into ribbons to measure 5 cups. Discard seeds and core of squash.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add squash, onion, and garlic; cook until onion is tender, gently stirring occasionally (4 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper, and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.5g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||7%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 38mcg||4%|
|Vitamin C 31.4mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 0.4mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 6.4mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Squash, Onion, Parmesan Cheese ((pasteurized Part-skim Cow's Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Cellulose Powder Added To Prevent Caking, Potassium Sorbate To Protect Flavor), Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…