A ragu is a slow-cooked tomato sauce that’s wonderful for a slow weekend dinner. Start it mid-morning and let it cook all day. Your house will smell amazing, and your taste buds will thank you come dinnertime.
- 2 ½ lbs. eggplant
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrots, finely diced
- 3 pounds mushrooms, finely diced
- 12 oz. beer
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 oz.) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Drizzle whole eggplants with half of the oil, wrap in foil, and place on a baking sheet. Roast until eggplants are thoroughly soft, 1 hour, and remove eggplants. Lower oven temperature to 350ºF.
- When eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- While the eggplant roasts, set a wide, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat and heat the oil. Add the onion and carrot to the pan and cook until very soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are thoroughly browned, 30-45 minutes.
- Stir in beer and garlic and simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato paste and pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, the tomatoes and their juices, soy sauce and bay leaves. Transfer pan to the 350ºF oven and roast, uncovered, for 2-4 hours.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar just before serving and serve hot over pasta or polenta.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10g|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.5g||32%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 4g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Eggplant, Beer (water, Barley, Hops And Yeast), Onion, Olive Oil, Carrots, Tomato Paste, Soy Sauce (soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, Red Pepper Flakes, Bay Leaf.
Overnight oatmeal is a piece of cake, and oatmeal is a great food to include in a heart-healthy diet. The only thing to watch out for is added sugar: many of us like our oatmeal covered in sugar. This recipe uses carrots and raisins and spice to minimize the need for sugar while keeping the flavor and texture high. It does include maple syrup, but you can leave the maple syrup out without hurting the flavor if you want to balance the nutrition a bit better.