When we say spicy to describe this entree, we mean it in the sense of “full of flavor,” not “hot.” If you like things hot, kick it up a notch with a little jalapeno or by choosing a hot salsa over a mild. Easy to tweak to your tastes, this south-of-the-border gem will set your tongue dancing.
- 5 bell peppers, stems and seeds removed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ lb. 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed and chopped
- ½ cup part-skim cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, and remove the white pithy ribs along with the seeds and stems.
- Spray baking dish with olive oil spray and arrange peppers in the dish.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with the olive oil spray. Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until it starts to brown. If the onions and garlic start to stick, add a splash of water or broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan, cooking until lightly browned and breaking it up as it cooks. Stir in the black pepper, chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
- Next add the salsa, the quinoa and the rice, heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped spinach.
- Pack the turkey mixture into the pepper halves so that it’s heaping, about a cup (see pictures). Sprinkle the tops with the cheddar cheese and bake about 40 minutes or until the peppers are tender. Serve immediately.
Modify for the Grill: Wrap the stuffed pepper halves in lightly oiled tinfoil and cook covered on the grill over medium heat until the peppers are tender (30-40 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18.5g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 5.5g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 23g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 122.8mcg||15%|
|Vitamin C 226.6mg||250%|
|Vitamin E 4.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin K 72.6mcg||60%|
|Vitamin B6 1.6mg||90%|
|Vitamin B12 1mcg||40%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
93% Ground Turkey, Yellow Bell Pepper, Salsa (tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, Lime Juice, Salt, And Spices And Potassium Sorbide), Cooked Brown Rice (water, Brown Rice), Quinoa, Onion, Spinach, Lowfat Cheddar Cheese (milk, Cultures, Enzymes, Salt), Garlic, Chili Powder, Cumin, Black Pepper, Coriander.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…