Soup is a classic way to turn the holiday treat of roasted chestnuts into a light and lovely meal. This version is made more nutritious by swapping sour cream out and using plain, low-fat yogurt.
- 3 cups whole roasted, bottled chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- ¾ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups fat-free, low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup low fat, plain greek yogurt
- 1½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chestnuts on a jelly-roll pan and bake (15 minutes). Place chestnuts in a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Combine onion, carrot, and oil on pan; toss to coat vegetables. Bake until tender, stirring occasionally (1 hour). Add to chestnuts; stir in broth.
- Pour half of broth mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a Dutch oven. Repeat procedure with remaining broth mixture.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer (20 minutes).
- Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 10 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon yogurt. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
10 servings per container
Serving Size 242 g
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2.5g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 18g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 127.6mcg||15%|
|Vitamin C 14.4mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 0.5mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 5.7mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Roasted Chestnuts, Onion, Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt (cultured Pasteurized Grade A Nonfat Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Contains Less Than 1% Of: Kosher Gelatin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3), Carrots, Olive Oil, Salt, Thyme, Black Pepper.
Latest from Our Blog
Avoiding Burnout With Your Health Goals
In order to successfully achieve a health goal, it should fit into your life seamlessly. Avoid burnout by following this helpful advice.