A crusty, easy to make bread warm out of the oven-what’s not to love! Using only four ingredients and a dutch oven, this bread is perfect alongside a hearty soup. The dough takes time to rise so plan ahead by making it in the evening and letting it rise overnight.
Tip: Try adding garlic and rosemary or jalapenos for a kick to really take the flavor to the next level!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, yeast and salt.
- Slowly add water and stir until a shaggy mixture forms (dough will be loose and sticky).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm room (12-18 hours).
- After the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 450ºF and place a cast iron dutch oven with lid in the oven to warm (30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, scrape the risen dough onto a heavily floured surface and very gently shape into a round loaf.
- Remove the hot pot and lid from the oven and gently set the dough in. Cover and bake (30 minutes).
- Remove the lid and continue to bake. This helps crisp up the outside of the bread (10-15 minutes). Remove the bread and place on a rack to cool. Serve warm with your favorite hearty soup!
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.5g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 46g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|Vitamin E 0.1mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 0.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B6 0mg||0%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Enriched All Purpose Flour (unbleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Salt, Active Dry Yeast.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…