Kids will love this homemade snack bar and you can send it with them to school, confident that the fiber, protein and heart-healthy fat will keep them full and energized to help them focus on learning and playing all day long.
- 1 1/3 cup dates (pitted)
- 1 1/4 cup crisp brown rice cereal such as Gluten Free Rice Krispies
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Spray an 8×8-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place the dates in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove 1/3 cup of the chopped dates and set aside.
- Combine the remaining chopped dates with the cereal, oats, peanuts, flaxseed, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Return the reserved 1/3 cup dates to the food processor with the water and process until smooth.
- Combine the date and water mixture with the peanut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and completely blended. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the peanut butter mixture with the oatmeal mixture and stir to combine. Add in the chocolate chips and stir. Press mixture into the pan and allow to cool before cutting into bars.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9.5g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 22g|
|Includes 3g Added Sugars||6%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 1.9mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 1.7mcg||2%|
|Vitamin E 0.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 1.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Medjool Dates, Whole Grain Oats, Dry Roasted Peanuts, Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin), Peanuts, Gluten Free Rice Krispies (whole Grain Brown Rice, Sugar, Salt, Iron, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E), Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12. Bht Is Added To Packaging), Water, Flax Seed Meal, Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Salt.
Even if brunch is closer to lunchtime for you, few of us are eager to roll out of bed before the sun to start cooking for a host of people. Fortunately, there’s a host of options for offloading most of the workload onto the night before so you can sleep in and serve your guests an incredible meal too.