You don’t need to look for the most colorful root veggies at the farmers’ market to make this dish incredible, but it doesn’t hurt. You might be able to find unique radishes (which are incredibly sweet when roasted) or small salad turnips (which have none of the bitterness associated with their larger relatives).
Tip: If your root veggies are giving your soaked wooden skewers a tough time, microwave them for 2-3 minutes to make them easier to skewer.
- 4 lb. lean pork loin, trimmed
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary, divided
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, washed and halved
- 1 lb. rainbow carrots, washed and cut into large chunks
- 1 lb. radishes, washed and halved
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak 10 bamboo skewers in cold water while preparing the vegetables. Heat grill to high.
- Pat pork loin dry and rub generously with half each of salt, pepper, and rosemary
- Place vegetables on skewers. Brush with oil and sprinkle with remaining spices and herbs.
- Grill the pork loin until all sides are seared lightly brown (8-12 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the kebabs to the grill. Cover and continue cooking both pork and kebabs until vegetables are tender and internal temperature of pork hits 155°F (25-30 minutes).
- Let the pork rest 15 minutes, tented with foil.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 8g|
|Vitamin D 0.4mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 379.7mcg||40%|
|Vitamin C 18.6mg||20%|
|Vitamin E 0.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 8.5mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 1.7mg||90%|
|Vitamin B12 0.9mcg||40%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Lean Pork Loin, Baby Potatoes, Carrots, Radishes, Olive Oil, Rosemary, Salt, Black Pepper.
One of my favorite things about the Guiding Stars program is that it refutes the myth that you must only shop the perimeter of the grocery store in order to find nutritious foods. Before I joined the Guiding Stars team, I worked in community nutrition education for low-income families. Like most shoppers, price was an important factor in my clients’ grocery shopping decisions, along with healthy foods that their family would enjoy. I led healthy shopping tours at stores with Guiding Stars and would use the program to highlight how you can find nutritious foods that fit your budget throughout the store. From this experience I learned that the center of the store is where Guiding Stars really shines. Let me explain why.