An easy, nutritious and delicious way to spend a cold afternoon.
- 8 medium plum tomatoes (can substitute 1 16-ounce can tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch of ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or substitute 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cups fat free skim milk
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the ripe tomatoes for 10 seconds. Transfer to colander. Cool to touch. Peel off skin and cut the tomatoes in half, remove seeds and chop.
- In a medium non stick sauce pan sprayed with cooking oil spray, sauté onions over medium high heat for 4 minutes or until translucent, stirring constantly. If need add a little water, wine or broth.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes. (Decrease time to 10 minutes for canned tomatoes).
- Spoon 3/4 of mixture into blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to saucepan. Add red pepper, basil and milk to soup. Heat until hot but do not boil, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 21g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 3g|
|Vitamin D 2.9mcg||15%|
|Vitamin A 257.4mcg||30%|
|Vitamin C 39.3mg||45%|
|Vitamin E 1.4mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 25.4mcg||20%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 1.2mcg||50%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Skim Milk, Onion, Garlic, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes.