Ditch the sticky, sodium-packed, canned soup soaked casserole of your childhood and discover a tuna casserole you’ll be delighted to share with your friends and family. Making your own sauce from scratch doesn’t take much more time than putting the casserole together, and the improvement in nutrition and flavor are more than worth the effort.
- 12 ounces whole-grain pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup thinly-sliced kale
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots and saute until shallots are translucent and mushrooms are beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat, add wine, and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the flour slowly to prevent clumping, stirring to coat mushrooms. Over high heat, add milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium simmer, stirring constantly, until the milk thickens into a sauce.
- Combine the cooked pasta, cheese, capers, tuna, yogurt, kale, thyme, salt and pepper. Coat with mushroom sauce and transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Heat the vegetable oil. Mix in breadcrumbs and cook until lightly toasted. Spread over casserole and bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 4g|
|Vitamin D 1.4mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 110.9mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 9mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 1.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 88.2mcg||70%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 1.8mcg||80%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Skim Milk, Whole Grain Penne (whole Grain Durum Wheat Flour, Semolina (wheat), Durum Wheat Flour, Oat Fiber), Tuna Fish, Mushrooms, White Wine, Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (skim Milk, Active Bacterial Culture, Vitamin As Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Shallots, Whole Wheat Style Panko Breadcrumbs (unbleached Whole Wheat Flour, Malt Extract, Yeast, Sea Salt), Parmesan Cheese (milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whole Wheat Flour, Parsley, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Capers (capers In Vinegar, Water, Salt), Kale, Garlic, Salt, Thyme, Black Pepper.