Cobblers are one of the most forgiving dishes when it comes to swapping refined sugars with more nutritionally robust options like date puree. To make date puree, pit dates, soak for an hour or so in just a little hot water, and blend until smooth. If you make too much, you can store it in the freezer for later use. If you prefer a more crumbly topping, add extra oats to get the desired texture.
- 3/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 c. white whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. date puree, divided
- 6 c. cherries, stemmed & pitted
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Oil a 10-inch baking dish.
- Combine the oats, flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Whisk together the oil, egg and half of date paste. Stir into the dry ingredients to combine.
- Coat cherries with lemon, vanilla and remaining date paste.
- Transfer cherry mixture to baking dish. Drop the oat mixture over the top.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until cherries are fully cooked and topping is lightly browned.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||20%|
|Total Sugars 21g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 14g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Cherries, Whole White Wheat Flour, Medjool Dates, Rolled Oats, Olive Oil, Eggs, Lemon Juice, Baking Powder (sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Salt.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?