This colorful salad uses the beet greens and the beets, along with crisp apple slices, tangy orange sections and crunchy sunflower seeds. It’s a robust, wonderful mix of flavors that’s perfect for use of seasonal produce in early winter. Tip: If you don’t have raspberry vinegar, don’t sweat it: use your favorite sweet salad vinegar, like balsamic or sherry, instead.
- 1 ½ lbs. beets
- 2 cups torn beet greens
- 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- Place beets in a sauce pan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender (20-30 minutes). Drain and allow to cool. Trim and peel off beet skins; cut into wedges.
- In a bowl, combine orange sections, beets and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and garlic. Pour over beet mixture and toss well.
- Serve out greens and top with beet mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds to serve.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.5g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.5g||39%|
|Total Sugars 28g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 1g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Beets, Apples, Oranges, Beet Greens, Sunflower Seeds, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?