Here’s a colorful salad that uses the beet greens and the beets, along with crisp apple slices, tangy orange sections and crunchy sunflower seeds. It’s got it all.
Number of Servings: 4 (359 G)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 1 ½ lbs. beets
- 2 cups shredded beet greens
- 1 large orange
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- Wash and dry beet roots and greens. Place beets in a sauce pan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Shred beet greens to measure 2 cups and set aside.
- Trim and peel off skins; cut into 8 wedges.
- Peel and section orange. In a bowl, combine orange sections, beets and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Pour over beet mixture and toss well.
- Arrange ½ cup beet greens on each of four plates. Top with beet mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.