Cauliflower is the secret to diversifying the nutritional profile of this soup. Lean turkey bacon and reduced-fat cheese bring all the flavor with less fat. If you have a little extra time, caramelized onions make a wonderful replacement for chives as a delicious topping.
- 2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed, cut into florets
- 1½ cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups skim milk
- ½ cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- 6 Tbsp. chopped chives, divided
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 Tbsp. reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Poke potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn over and microwave another 3 – 5 minutes, until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes.
- Steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot over medium heat. Add vegetable broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Add the yogurt, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top each serving with cheese, remaining chives and bacon.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||11%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 15g|
|Vitamin D 0.9mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 124.7mcg||15%|
|Vitamin C 32.5mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 0.1mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 17.5mcg||15%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0.6mcg||25%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Potatoes, Skim Milk, Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Onion, Organic Celery, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Sea Salt, Organic Savory Leaf, Organic Ground Bay Leaf), Cauliflower, Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (skim Milk, Active Bacterial Culture, Vitamin As Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Lowfat Cheddar Cheese (milk, Cultures, Enzymes, Salt), Turkey Bacon (poultry Ingredients (turkey, Mechanically Separated Turkey), Water, Salt, Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite), Chives.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.