This soup can be made up to three days in advance; in fact, its flavor matures after a night in the fridge. Scallions, cilantro, and lime make lovely garnishes if you’d like a little green to brighten up the dish.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced fire-roasted mild green chiles
- 1 recipe Homemade Sausage, Chorizo-style
- 2½ quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz.) cans low-sodium black beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) cans low-sodium black beans, undrained
- Pepper to taste
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, jalapeño, and salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook the vegetables until soft (12-15 minutes).
- Add the oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Remove the vegetable mixture to a dish and return the pot to the stove.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil until hot, add the chorizo to the pan and sauté, stirring frequently, until the meat is golden brown (6-8 minutes). Drain the excess fat and discard.
- Return the vegetable mixture to the pan with the chorizo. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium-low, simmer to combine flavors, heat beans, and reduce liquid (15-20 minutes).
- Serve hot or freeze in small batches for future meals.
6 servings per container
Serving Size 740 g
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||46%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 19g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 19.7mcg||2%|
|Vitamin C 33.6mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 2.3mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 18mcg||15%|
|Vitamin B6 0.6mg||35%|
|Vitamin B12 0.5mcg||20%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Chicken Broth (chicken Broth (filtered Water, Chicken), Chicken Flavor, Natural Chicken Flavor (chicken Broth, Salt), Evaporated Cane Juice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Turmeric, Flavor), Low Sodium Black Beans (black Beans, Water, Sea Salt), Homemade Sausage Chorizo Style (90% Ground Pork, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Oregano, Salt, Paprika, Cumin, Black Pepper, Ground Cloves), Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Fire Roasted Green Chiles (green Chile Peppers, Water, Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Celery, Olive Oil, Jalapeno Pepper, Salt, Oregano, Cumin, Bay Leaf.
Latest from Our Blog
Allergy Awareness Month
Raising awareness and helping people with allergies are the goals of Allergy Awareness Month. Learn more about food allergies and overall wellness here.