This relish relies on apples to provide the sweetness that many relishes take from added sugar. Tart and spicy, it’s an excellent condiment to try anywhere you would use other relishes. This recipe makes a large amount, making it an excellent choice for gifting to friends in small jars during the harvest.
Tip: Any tart or sour cooking apple works in place of Granny Smith apples. Cortlands, Gravensteins, and Pink Ladies all fit the profile.
- 2 lbs. green tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 lb. onions, chopped
- ¾ lb. bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- ½ lb. Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. cumin
- In a large pan, combine all ingredients except jalapeños, cilantro, and cumin.
- Bring to boil and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally (1 hour). Add remaining ingredients and simmer to combine flavor (5 minutes).
- Cool until safe to put in a blender or food processor. Puree until slightly chunky.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||4%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 1g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 17.5mcg||2%|
|Vitamin C 15.1mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 0.2mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 2.7mcg||2%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Green Tomatoes, Onions, Red Bell Peppers, Cider Vinegar, Granny Smith Apples, Jalapeno Peppers, Garlic, Salt, Cilantro, Cumin.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…