Fish tacos are delicious, but if we’re being honest, dealing with the finger food isn’t always appealing. That and, if you dislike corn and whole wheat tortillas, keeping your grains whole in a taco situation is unsatisfying. The solution to both problems? Make it a bowl.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. tilapia
- 2 tsp. salt-free Mexican seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 cup Guiding Star-worthy salsa
- 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice cooks, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the fish and sprinkle with Mexican seasoning. Fry until fish is no longer translucent and flakes easily with a fork (3-4 minutes per side).
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, black beans, and salsa.
- In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, and salt.
- Divide rice among four bowls. Top with equal portions of fish, corn mix, and yogurt sauce. Top with cubed avocado.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 72g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||46%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 51g|
|Vitamin D 3.5mcg||20%|
|Vitamin A 20.5mcg||2%|
|Vitamin C 11.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 3.7mg||25%|
|Vitamin K 19.1mcg||15%|
|Vitamin B6 0.8mg||45%|
|Vitamin B12 2.2mcg||90%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tilapia, Salsa (tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, Lime Juice, Salt, And Spices And Potassium Sorbide), No Salt Added Corn (whole Corn, Water), Black Beans, Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (skim Milk, Active Bacterial Culture, Vitamin As Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Avocado, Brown Rice, Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Salt Free Mexican Seasoning (spices (including Black Pepper And Cumin), Sugar, Red And Green Bell Peppers, Tomato, Onion, Garlic, Citric Acid, And Natural Flavor), Salt.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.