Serve this spicy-sweet curry over brown rice or quinoa with a side of fresh greens. For a vegan option, switch the fish with roasted cauliflower. Steamed veggies such as broccoli, green beans or edamame would all make an excellent base to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Chile Paste Ingredients: 8 dry red chilies
- ¼ cup water
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ Tbsp. coriander
- ½ Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. of cayenne
Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 fillets of cod, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 sm. onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cup light, unsweetened coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Bring chiles to a boil in water and let steep for at least 5 minutes.
- Grind the chiles, water and garlic to a paste. Add the spices and lemon juice and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Fry the cod fillets in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon oil until translucent. Add chile paste and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Season to taste with extra cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
- Add the cooked fish and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6.5g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 6g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Lite Coconut Milk (water, Coconut Milk, Guar Gum (a Natural Emulsifier), Cod Fish, Red Chili Pepper, Onion, Water, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Garlic, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Coriander.
Overnight oatmeal is a piece of cake, and oatmeal is a great food to include in a heart-healthy diet. The only thing to watch out for is added sugar: many of us like our oatmeal covered in sugar. This recipe uses carrots and raisins and spice to minimize the need for sugar while keeping the flavor and texture high. It does include maple syrup, but you can leave the maple syrup out without hurting the flavor if you want to balance the nutrition a bit better.