There’s nothing drab about this salad, and nothing too complicated! Full-flavored and easy to throw together, it may just become your new favorite light dinner option. It stores well in the fridge too, making it a smart choice for lunch all week long.
- 1⅔ cups water
- 1⅓ cups pearl couscous
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 oz. baby arugula, finely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz. gouda, shredded
- Bring the water to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Add the dried cherries and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the liquid. Whisk to make sure it’s fully emulsified. Stir liquid into the couscous.
- Stir in the steeped cherries, celery, arugula, walnuts and sliced shallots. Top with cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 8g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 71g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||25%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 6g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 58mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 14.1mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 1.5mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 34mcg||30%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0.2mcg||8%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Water, Pearl Couscous (100% Durum Wheat Semolina), Shallots, Dried Cherries, Arugula, Celery, Orange Juice, Walnuts, Gouda Cheese (cultured Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto (coloring)), Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar.
This season, rather than making it complicated, lets seek to engage in five healthy habits. Over time, they will lead to better overall health and wellness. Individually, these ideas may seem simple, but together they create a lifestyle that removes barriers and encourages balanced nutrition, exercise, and overall improved wellness.