Wheat berries are a chewy whole grain with a wonderfully nutty taste. This salad makes a perfect lunch in cold weather or warm. Prep the ingredients in advance, keeping them separate for a fast lunch. The wheat berries can be warmed easily by running them under warm tap water in a strainer to give them the freshest taste.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple juice-sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted and chopped
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
- 1 large apple, chopped
- Cook wheat berries according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, cider and oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the wheat berries and remaining ingredients with the vinaigrette.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10g|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|Total Sugars 18g|
|Includes 11g Added Sugars||22%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 28g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 93.8mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 12.9mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 1.7mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 142.9mcg||120%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Apples, Whole Wheat, Spinach, Fruit Juice Sweetened Dried Cranberries (cranberries, Apple Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Oil), Pecans, Olive Oil, Apple Juice, Cider Vinegar, Maple Syrup, Dijon Mustard (water, Mustard Seed, Mustard Flour, Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Citric Acid, Tumeric, Spices), Salt, Black Pepper.
A White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health was held in September for the first time in over 50 years. The Conference coincided with the Biden Administration’s release of the National Strategy to improve our overall health and nutritional well-being. These are the goals of the Strategy that we think you should know about.