Wheat Berry Salad with Spinach, Orange & Almonds - 3 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Three Guiding Stars icon Three Guiding Stars indicate the best nutritional value.

This wheat berry salad balances the chewy texture of soft wheat berries with a bit of piquant feta cheese, healthy almonds, a very light citrus vinaigrette, and a ton of veggies.

Tip: This is a great dish to make in advance. Just leave the spinach out until you’re ready to serve.


  • 2½ cups wheat berries
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ cup orange juice
  • 2 Tbsp. orange zest
  • 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. minced shallot
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • ¼ tsp. black pepper
  • ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • ¼ cup feta cheese
  • 3 cups baby spinach
  • 1½ cups grape tomatoes, halved


  1. In a large pan, combine the wheat berries, salt, and about 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and briskly simmer for about 1 hour, or until the wheat berries are chewy. Drain and rinse with cold water.
  2. Whisk together the orange juice, zest, lemon juice, shallot, olive oil, and pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together the wheat berries, orange juice mix, almonds, feta, spinach, and tomatoes.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 235; Total Fat 7g (9% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 1.5g (8% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 3mg (2% DV); Sodium 275mg (12% DV); Total Carbohydrate 39g (14% DV); Dietary Fiber 7g (25% DV); Total Sugars 2g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 8g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 4% DV; Iron 10% DV; Potassium 8% DV; Manganese 100% DV; Selenium 60% DV; Vitamin K 40% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/wheat-berry-salad-with-spinach-orange-and-almond/
© 2023 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796