Turkish Stuffed Peppers - 2 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Two Guiding Stars icon Two Guiding Stars indicate better nutritional value.

Peppers are a fundamental ingredient in Eastern European cuisine. The herbs and sweet spices that flavor the barley are sometimes surprising to Western palates, in the best possible way. This decadent dish is the perfect special vegetarian dish to take center stage at any dinner party.

Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. currants, soaked in hot water
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 cup water, divided
  • 2½ cups cooked barley
  • Pepper to taste
  • ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • ¼ cup finely chopped mint
  • 6 red bell peppers, tops sliced off and seeded
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Lemon wedges

Directions

  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large, wide saucepan or lidded skillet. Add onion and pine nuts. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and beginning to color (5-8 minutes). Add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant (30 seconds).
  2. Stir in the currants, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and sugar. Add ½ cup water and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated (5-6 minutes). Add barley and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs.
  3. Stuff the peppers with the barley mixture. Stand the peppers in a wide, lidded pan. Mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ cup water, and lemon juice, and pour around the vegetables. Bring to a simmer and cover the pan. Simmer on medium-low, adding water as needed, until the peppers are very tender and there is just a small amount of liquid left (40-50 minutes). Garnish with lemon wedges to serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 225; Total Fat 9.5g (12% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV); Sodium 205mg (9% DV); Total Carbohydrate 33g (12% DV); Dietary Fiber 6g (21% DV); Total Sugars 9g; Includes 1g Added Sugars (2% DV); Protein 4g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 4% DV; Iron 10% DV; Potassium 10% DV; Vitamin C 180% DV; Vitamin K 80% DV; Manganese 30% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/turkish-stuffed-peppers/
© 2021 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796