Roasted Red Pepper Sauce - 2 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Two Guiding Stars icon Two Guiding Stars indicate better nutritional value.

Creamy red pepper sauce is a wonderful pasta sauce to top whole-grain pasta. Add your favorite lean protein such as beans or chicken and serve with a light salad of dark, leafy greens to round out the meal.

Ingredients

  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 (12 oz.) cans fat-free evaporated skim milk
  • Pepper to taste
  • Fresh basil for garnish (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place whole peppers on sheet and roast until soft and blistered, turning once (20 minutes). Cover with foil and let cool until safe to handle (10 minutes).
  2. When peppers are cool, peel the peppers. Skins should rub off easily. Remove stems and seeds and chop.
  3. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onions until translucent (4-5 minutes).
  4. Whisk in flour and cook for 30 seconds. Add evaporated milk in one smooth stream, whisking constantly. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer until thickened (1-2 minutes).
  5. Add roasted peppers. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced to desired consistency, whisking occasionally (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat. Add pepper to taste. Garnish with basil, if using.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 250; Total Fat 7.5g (9% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 7mg (2% DV); Sodium 200mg (9% DV); Total Carbohydrate 31g (11% DV); Dietary Fiber 2g (7% DV); Total Sugars 22g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 15g; Vitamin D 15% DV; Calcium 40% DV; Iron 10% DV; Potassium 15% DV; Vitamin C 90% DV; Riboflavin 45% DV; Vitamin K 40% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/roasted-red-pepper-sauce/
© 2021 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796