Passover Spinach Squares - 2 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Two Guiding Stars icon Two Guiding Stars indicate better nutritional value.

These spinach squares are pareve, containing neither meat nor dairy, and are often served as an appetizer at traditional Passover celebrations. Packed with spinach and leeks, this dish is a simple and flavorful appetizer that also works beautifully for any party where guests might appreciate a little extra veg in a light pre-dinner nibble.

Ingredients

  • 1½ lbs. spinach, stemmed
  • 1½ tsp. canola oil
  • 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • ¾ tsp. oregano
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ⅛ tsp. pepper
  • 3 egg whites

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8″x8″ baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large pot, bring a small amount of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, add spinach, cover, and cook until the spinach is wilted (3-5 minutes). Drain and squeeze the spinach dry. Chop and place in a large bowl.
  3. Heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Sauté the leek and garlic until tender (10 minutes). Add the leek mixture to the spinach. Stir in the lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper.
  4. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Fold into the spinach mixture.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until set (35-40 minutes). Let set 10 minutes before cutting into 2″ squares to serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 20; Total Fat 0.5g (1% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 0g (0% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV); Sodium 80mg (3% DV); Total Carbohydrate 3g (1% DV); Dietary Fiber 1g (4% DV); Total Sugars 1g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 2g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 4% DV; Iron 6% DV; Potassium 6% DV; Vitamin K 170% DV; Vitamin A 25% DV; Folate 20% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/passover-spinach-squares/
© 2021 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796