Mixed Vegetable Pakoras - 3 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Three Guiding Stars icon Three Guiding Stars indicate the best nutritional value.

Pakoras are batter-coated fried vegetables. Serve them with brown rice and your favorite low-sugar chutney to make a simple vegetarian meal. These pakoras are made with chickpea flour, which is sometimes called besan. It’s easy to order online if your local store doesn’t carry it, and it’s a great product to play with in your cooking.

Ingredients

  • ½ red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
  • 5 baby yellow potatoes, thinly sliced
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
  • 1½ cups chickpea flour
  • 1 cup water

Directions

  1. Toss onion, cauliflower, and potato with all spices, including garlic and cilantro.
  2. In a separate bowl, stir together chickpea flour and water until you have a pancake-like batter. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add the coated vegetables incrementally, working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Reduce heat to low and cook all pieces, turning as needed, until cooked (2-3 minutes per side). Repeat until all vegetables are cooked and serve hot.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 215; Total Fat 2g (3% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 0.5g (0% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV); Sodium 230mg (10% DV); Total Carbohydrate 41g (15% DV); Dietary Fiber 6.5g (25% DV); Total Sugars 5g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 9g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 4% DV; Iron 15% DV; Potassium 20% DV; Vitamin C 50% DV; Copper 45% DV; Folate 35% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/mixed-vegetable-pakoras/
© 2021 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796