Insalata means “salad.” When you feel like you should eat salad and want to eat pizza, this is your go-to dish. Load a whole-grain base with an explosion of vegetables and let roasting work its flavor magic on the veg.
- 4 (6") whole wheat pitas
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded, part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil leaves
- 4 cups packaged gourmet salad greens
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic on each pita. Sprinkle each pita with 1/4 cup cheese, and divide onion evenly among pitas. Bake until edges are lightly browned and cheese is bubbly (8 minutes).
- While pitas bake, combine vinegar, oil, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and basil. Add salad greens, and toss gently to coat.
- Top each pita with about 1 cup salad. Serve immediately.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||25%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 3g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 170.1mcg||20%|
|Vitamin C 14.1mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 1mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 97.1mcg||80%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0.5mcg||20%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Whole Wheat Pita (whole Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Canola Oil, Sugar, Salt, Oat Fiber, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Acacia Gum, Dextrose, Calcium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Wheat Starch, Sorbitol, Magnesium Stearate, Calcium Propionate (preservative)), Tomatoes, Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt And Enzymes, Potato Starch, Corn Starch And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor), Vidalia Onion, Kalamata Olives (kalamata Style Olives, Water, Salt, Vinegar, Olive Oil), Cider Vinegar, Salad Greens (lettuce, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Arugula), Olive Oil, Garlic, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…