Fennel & Spinach Soup with Roasted Pepper Yogurt - 2 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Two Guiding Stars icon Two Guiding Stars indicate better nutritional value.

Fennel and spinach come together to make a sweet green soup. Topped with bright red yogurt that brings smokey peppery flavor, this is a gorgeously balanced soup in both color and flavor.


  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 large fennel bulbs with stalks
  • 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 medium)
  • 1 cup chopped shallots (about 2 large)
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
  • ⅜ tsp. salt
  • 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 oz. spinach
  • ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
  • 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
  • Dash of ground red pepper


  1. Preheat broiler. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil until blackened (15 minutes).
  2. Place broiled pepper halves in a paper bag, fold to close tightly, and let stand until cooled (10 minutes). Peel and chop; set aside.
  3. Trim tough outer leaves from fennel. Mince feathery fronds to measure 2 tablespoons; set aside. Remove and discard stalks. Cut bulbs in half lengthwise; discard core. Chop bulbs to measure about 4 cups.
  4. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add fennel bulb, leek, and next 3 ingredients (through salt); cover and cook, stirring occasionally (10 minutes).
  5. Add broth, water, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer (12 minutes). Discard bay leaf.
  6. Stir in spinach and black pepper. Remove from heat; cover and let stand at room temperature (5 minutes).
  7. Pour half of fennel mixture into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining fennel mixture.
  8. Return pureed soup to pan; heat over medium heat until thoroughly heated (2 minutes).
  9. Combine roasted bell peppers, yogurt, lemon rind, lemon juice, and ground red pepper in a food processor; process until smooth.
  10. Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture. Garnish with fennel fronds.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 105; Total Fat 4g (5% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 0.5g (3% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 1mg (0% DV); Sodium 200mg (9% DV); Total Carbohydrate 15g (5% DV); Dietary Fiber 4g (14% DV); Total Sugars 7g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 4g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 8% DV; Iron 10% DV; Potassium 10% DV; Vitamin K 100% DV; Vitamin C 60% DV; Folate 20% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/fennel-spinach-soup-with-roasted-pepper-yogurt/
© 2024 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796