Change your chicken soup routine with a hefty amount of garlic and a good serving of fresh chard. For a complete and comforting winter meal, serve with good whole-grain rolls.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 5 cups chard leaves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chard, chickpeas, chicken and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9.5g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 102.6mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 13.3mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 2mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 253.6mcg||210%|
|Vitamin B6 1.1mg||60%|
|Vitamin B12 0.4mcg||15%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Chicken Broth (chicken Broth (filtered Water, Chicken Stock, Sea Salt), Chicken Flavor, Onion Powder, Potato Flour, Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Flavor, Turmeric And Flavor), Chicken Breast, Garbanzo Beans (chick Peas, Water, Disodium Edta), Swiss Chard, Onion, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper.
This season, rather than making it complicated, lets seek to engage in five healthy habits. Over time, they will lead to better overall health and wellness. Individually, these ideas may seem simple, but together they create a lifestyle that removes barriers and encourages balanced nutrition, exercise, and overall improved wellness.