Cajun Red Beans & Rice - 3 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Three Guiding Stars icon Three Guiding Stars indicate the best nutritional value.

Red beans and rice are a classic New Orleans dish. This version is a little lighter on both the salt and the saturated fat, but not light in flavor. Use cayenne pepper and hot sauce to adjust the heat to suit your personal preferences.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. kidney beans
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • ½ lb. chicken andouille sausage, cooked and sliced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. sage
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Hot sauce, to taste
  • 3 cups brown rice, cooked

Directions

  1. Cover beans with cold water. Soak at room temperature overnight, up to 16 hours. Drain and rinse.
  2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
  3. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until vegetables have softened and are just starting to brown around the edges. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add salt, cayenne pepper, sage, and fresh black pepper. Cook for another 30 seconds or so.
  4. Add beans, along with enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Add cider vinegar, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until beans are tender, 1½ to 2½ hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Remove lid and continue to cook until liquid has thickened, about 20 minutes. If the pot starts to look dry before the stew turns creamy, add water and continue simmering. Repeat as necessary until thick and creamy.
  6. Remove bay leaves and thyme stems. Season to taste with hot sauce. Serve over brown rice.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 355; Total Fat 4g (5% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 21mg (7% DV); Sodium 385mg (17% DV); Total Carbohydrate 60g (22% DV); Dietary Fiber 11.5g (39% DV); Total Sugars 4g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 21g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 6% DV; Iron 30% DV; Potassium 20% DV; Manganese 70% DV; Copper 60% DV; Folate 60% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/cajun-red-beans-rice/
© 2022 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796