Brown Rice Pilaf with Asparagus & Mushrooms - 3 Guiding Stars
Active Time
Total Time
Servings
Three Guiding Stars icon Three Guiding Stars indicate the best nutritional value.

Brown rice improves the nutrition of a classic pilaf while adding a lovely nuttiness to the flavor which perfectly sets off the earthy flavors of asparagus and mushrooms.

Tip: If you can’t find asparagus tips, you can purchase a whole bunch, remove the woody ends, and cut into 1″ pieces.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cube low-sodium chicken bouillon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • ½ lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
  • ½ lb. asparagus tips
  • 2 Tbsp. grated Swiss cheese
  • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the rice and sauté until fragrant (1 minute).
  2. Add the water, bouillon, onion, mushrooms, and nutmeg. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is cooked (40 minutes).
  3. Stir asparagus into the rice mixture, cover and cook until tender (5 minutes). Stir in the grated cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 165; Total Fat 4g (5% Daily Value); Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV); Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 2mg (0% DV); Sodium 20mg (1% DV); Total Carbohydrate 28g (10% DV); Dietary Fiber 2.5g (11% DV); Total Sugars 2g; Includes 0g Added Sugars (0% DV); Protein 5g; Vitamin D 0% DV; Calcium 4% DV; Iron 10% DV; Potassium 8% DV; Vitamin K 80% DV; Manganese 60% DV; Copper 35% DV.
Recipe by Guiding Stars at https://guidingstars.com/recipes/brown-rice-pilaf-with-asparagus-and-mushrooms/
© 2020 Guiding Stars Licensing Company. All rights reserved. US Patent Nos. 7,974,881; 8,626,796