When the garden is bursting with zucchini, coat them with breading and watch them disappear. Experiment with different dried herbs in the flour mixture. Poultry, Cajun or Mexican seasonings are a few flavor profiles that come to mind, but the possibilities are endless.
Number of Servings: 4 (222 G )
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1/2-by-3-inch sticks
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag. Dip zucchini in egg white, shake in the bag to coat, and arrange, not touching, on the baking sheet. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
- Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes. Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve hot.