If you’re looking for something new to take to your next cookout at the beach, consider bruschetta. The bread can be toasted quickly on the grill and the tomato relish can be prepared in advance and stored in the cooler for easy assembly. Delicious, refreshing, and a nice break from the endless pasta and potato salads, this might just become a new summer tradition for your family.
Simple, quick and healthy– all you need in a snack! What’s more, you’ll find this easy Italian classic dish to be light, refreshing, and hydrating. It’s perfect as a side or appetizer for a comfortable family dinner or a fancy celebration.
Servings: 4 (117 G )
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- 3 fresh, ripe Roma tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano flakes)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 4 slices sourdough, French or country-style bread, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the tomatoes, then cut down the middle with a plastic knife and remove most of the seeds and juice. Chop into small pieces, and add to small bowl.
2. Tear or chop basil into small pieces, then add to tomatoes in bowl, along with the oregano and garlic.
3. Toast bread slices to desired brownness. Spoon the tomato mixture evenly over the toasted bread slices, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the top of each tomato-topped bread slice.