Whole grain pasta has come a long way in the last few years in terms of cost, taste, texture and appearance. Swapping it out for regular pasta in any dish will boost the protein and fiber of your favorite pasta dishes. This pasta dish build on the wholesome foundation of whole-grain pasta with a homemade kale pesto that will give you a new appreciation for the healthful, popular green.
Pesto made with kale adds another delicious option for consuming this tasty green. It’s no mistake that this recipes calls for no salt—the flavor of the cheese give you all the salt you’ll want.
Servings: 8 (140 G )
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: None
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 1 lb whole-grain pasta
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Fresh black pepper
- Grind the almonds and garlic until they resemble coarse meal. Add the kale, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup cheese and olive oil. Process until the pesto is the consistency you like.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain well, and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the pesto, tomatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese. Season with fresh black pepper, to taste.