For a lot of us, the end of summer means cravings for fried food when the fair comes to town. We can’t do anything to make those decadent fair treats healthier, but we can recommend a three-star, oven-fried side dish that will not only satiate some of those fried food cravings, but will also put your garden’s overabundance of zucchini to good use. Egg white alone works to bind a breading of whole-grains to your veggies for a treat no one in your family will turn up their noses at.
When the garden is bursting with zucchini, coat them with breading and watch them disappear. Experiment with different dried herbs in the flour mixture. Poultry, Cajun or Mexican seasonings are a few flavor profiles that come to mind, but the possibilities are endless.
Servings: 4 (222 G )
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1/2-by-3-inch sticks
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag. Dip zucchini in egg white, shake in the bag to coat, and arrange, not touching, on the baking sheet. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
- Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes. Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve hot.